Sunday, August 7, 2011

Kamakura, Japan

This past week we had an Area Orientation Brief.  The first two days were all administrative (health insurance, DOD school registration process, etc.) and the last few days were introducing us to the culture.  We took a field trip on Thursday to Kamakura.  I wish I knew where it was on the map or even how many miles away it was, but all I can tell you is it was a 20 min train ride.  Ryan tagged along with us as he was not having a good time (at all) in the daycare center where arrangements had been made for him to attend.

This is the train station.  Translation????  We don't know either!
 Thier trains here are actually decorated, and pretty.  Also the cleanest public transporation system we have ever been on.
 This was the LITTLE restauarnt we ate at .  When I say little, I mean it.  The room was about 10x12 with the teeny kitchen where three women stood and sweated, I mean cooked over three hot plates.  In fact they just close the restaurant when it is full.
 Paul was a master at his chopsticks as he ate a chicken, rice, and raw egg dish.
 These were our cute little cooks.
 Then we took a walk over to a famous shrine that was built by the the First Shogun, Yashimoto Minimoto.  First you go through the Torii Gates which is the entrance to the shrine.  It is guarded by two dogs, one with his mouth open, and the other closed.  It signifies the beginning and the end.  At the beginning of life, a babe is born crying (mouth open).  At the end, a person dies and their mouth is closed.
 Before you can enter the shrine, you must purify yourself.  You take the ladle with the right hand and fill it with water and wash the left hand, repeat for the right hand, and then cup some water in your hand and put it in your mouth, rinse and spit. 
Very Interesting!!!!
 This is Sake (Japanese Beer).  Apparently the Gods need their alcohol too.

 We saw a couple on their way to the shrine, via ricksahaw, to get married.  I must add that was 90 degrees with 90% humidity and all I could do was feel sorry for this poor girl dressed in full kimono and this hot headress.  She was glowing though!
 On the walk back we stopped for "sweet potato" ice cream.  If you had told me a month ago I would try sweet potato ice cream, I would have said no way.  But it was too hot to care, and it was DELICIOUS!!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment